How To Make A Wikipedia Page For Your Startup Business
When you are first getting started with Wikipedia, there are some important tips that you need to keep in mind. This powerful Internet-based encyclopedia is similar to old-school encyclopedias in that it contains a lot of information. That is about where the similarities end, however.
Unlike traditional encyclopedias, Wikipedia doesn’t employ writers. All of the content on the site is created by users, instead. Absolutely anyone can contribute to Wikipedia. They just need to create an account.
The thing to keep in mind, however, is that the content creation process is governed by well-defined rules. These rules and guidelines are in place to keep people from abusing the system.
The underlying idea behind Wikipedia is that all of the content is unbiased. It is extremely important to keep this in mind when creating your company’s page. You are not allowed to include any type of promotional content. Instead, it has to be entirely fact-based.
If you fail to adhere to these standards, your content may wind up getting edited. Even worse, it may get deleted altogether.
The Benefits Of Using Wikipedia
At first, it may seem pointless to create a page that other people could edit or delete.
These experts suggest you don’t spend a lot of time worrying about that. Provided that you adhere to the guidelines, you should be able to publish a page for your business that doesn’t get changed or deleted. There are a lot of compelling reasons why you should consider building a page including the following:
* It is an easy way to boost your reputation and can increase your company’s credibility.
* It makes your business more visible and introduces your company to users who may not have otherwise discovered it.
* It provides an additional listing for your business in the search results on the major search engines.
* It could result in additional sales thanks to the extra visibility that a Wikipedia page provides.
When you consider all of these benefits, it is easy to see why most experts recommend trying to build a Wikipedia page for your company. From an Internet marketing standpoint, it is an incredibly powerful tool.
Use the tips in the section below to build a page that will meet Wikipedia’s standards.
Tips For Building A Wikipedia Page
Adhere To The Rules
Make sure you completely understand the editorial guidelines before you begin putting together your page. Wikipedia has a section on the site where you can learn about all of their writing requirements. Familiarize yourself with what is and isn’t acceptable when it comes to building a page.
Additionally, be sure to remember these tips:
* Wikipedia only allows pages for companies that are considered notable. In order to qualify, other people need to have written articles about your business online that you can reference.
* Avoid creating any type of content that makes it sound like you are promoting your company.
* Make sure your page has enough content. There should be plenty of substance to fill out the entire page rather than just one or two paragraphs.
* When writing about your business, focus on facts. Make sure to cite other reputable online sources where those facts are published.
Sign Up For An Account
If you aren’t already a member of Wikipedia, you should create an account. Come up with a unique username and a password that is difficult for anyone to guess.
Look Up Information About Your Business Online
The information that you include on your Wikipedia page needs to be verifiable. That means that you need to be able to reference other online sources. In order to do that, you will need to spend some time searching for articles that have been written about your company. Look for articles from reputable sources such as magazines, newspapers, trade publications, and books.
Although you can cite some information from your own website, you should rely primarily on other sources. If there aren’t a lot of sources available, consider using press releases to encourage other publications to write about your business. You can then reference these articles when building your Wikipedia page.
Organize Your Information
Begin by putting the information that you gathered into an easy-to-understand format. Creating an outline will make it easier to write a comprehensive article that flows smoothly from one idea to the next.
Begin by talking about the history of your company and the types of services or products that you provide. You can then add additional information about your business and your products in subsequent sections.
Build Your Page
The final part of the process is to begin building your page. Use your outline to guide you as you create your content. Consider watching online videos for more helpful advice and information.